The sight of ramson shoots popping their fresh green through bare woodland floors is a welcomed one after the winter months, it means spring is finally arriving.
This year I have tested out a new recipe to add to the annual spring pesto which was very nice and went down very well at the ‘bring a dish to share’ lunch I took them to.
Wild Garlic Pakoras – I loosely based on this recipe.
- Pick a large bowl full of ramson leaves, wash and pick out any that don’t look nice.
- Finely slice an onion and put it in a mixing bowl. Roughly chop the ramson leaves and mix with the onion.
- season with salt and black pepper, a little chilli powder and turmeric
- add gram flour; mixing as you do so until the leaves and onion has a ‘dusting’ over them
- Add an egg to the mixture and mix so as everything sticks together
- separate the mixture into the size portions you want and deep-fat fry until golden brown