Spent this evening at the allotment, weeding mostly. I have been neglecting it for a week or so and I’m pretty sure that this is the first time I have weeded so I haven’t been doing badly. Everything has grow loads, including the thistles which are still a big problem, they are everywhere. We (Rhys came too) took the netting of the courgettes as they are starting to push it of any way, there is a huge difference between the main bed of them, which was manured, and a few that I put in another bed, which wasn’t manured, when I ran out of room. After thinking about it there is also a very noticeable difference between the first bed of beetroot, not manured, and the second, manured and now thinned, that I had been putting down to them being nibbled by rabbits, so the soil wasn’t has rich has I thought it was.
I ‘thinned’ the larger of the beetroots in the second bed out so as the smaller ones have more room to grow, they are a very nice size and the first real harvest for the allotment!!
The rounder ones are Detroit 2 and the more pointy shaped ones are Pronto. They were sown just over two months ago. After weeding the rest of the bed, or most of it, I sowed some ‘Burpees Golden’ where the peas failed. There are still two pea plants left there, one of them has it’s first flower on.
The kale looks great, the net curtains are working really well at keeping white butterflies off, and the rabbits. The leeks are not doing so well, they have been nibbled and over grown, I had been leaving the weeds around them to try and protect them from the rabbits but it hasn’t really worked, but there are plenty of tomatoes that have self-seeded themselves that I have left in.
After weeding we put some more manure out on the end of the plot where there still isn’t anything planted, I think things are going to grow so much better that way.